About Us

Our purpose as a church is to gather people into the kingdom of God by giving ourselves to others, gaining a sense of community, while growing in knowledge of Christ; thus, glorifying God in all that we do. 

Because we as a church value:

BIBLE INSTRUCTION

Acts 8:30-31, Ps. 119:105, 2 Tim. 3:16

We will grow in Christ by providing Bible education that encourages us to live out what we learn.

EVANGELISM

Matt. 28:16-20, Mark 16:15, Luke 24:47-49, Genesis 9:1, Genesis 12:1-3

We will gather into the church the lost in our community by aggressively reaching out and demonstrating God’s love in practical ways.

FELLOWSHIP

Phil. 2:1-2, 1 John 1:3,7, Gal. 6:2,

Acts 2:42-47, Eph. 2:19-20, Ps. 133:1-3

We will gain a sense of community by providing a place and opportunity where we can share with and carry each other’s burden.

MINISTRIES

Eph. 4:11-12, 2 Tim.4:5, 1 Cor. 12:4-7,

Ex. 35:35-36:1

We will give of ourselves to the work of the Lord by providing opportunities that will equip individuals for the work of ministry.

WORSHIP

Ps. 100:4-5, 2:11, 29:2, Is. 66:5b,

John 4:23-24, Heb. 12:28

Worship brings the body together to glorify God, and worship brings the body together to strengthen each other. It allows each of us both personally, and corporately to come into contact with God through His Word.

Church Leadership

image8

Phillip Troxell

Adam Linkenhoker

Adam Linkenhoker

Church Pastor

image9

Adam Linkenhoker

Adam Linkenhoker

Adam Linkenhoker

Worship Leader

image10

Lesa Noonan

Adam Linkenhoker

Lesa Noonan

Church Secretary

Church History

image11

Our original Church was located at the corner of 5th Street and Benton Street.

  • On My 30, 1909, a few Brethren families living in Peru met to organize a Sunday School.  The first classes were held on week later at 117 S. Broadway, with 43 people attending with an offering of .81 cents.
  • Thought turned to having a permanent building and church services.  It was decided to build at the corner of Fifth and Benton Streets.  The new church was dedicated on march 18, 1912.
  • By 1922 the church grew to a membership of 140.  By 1946 the membership grew to 446.
  • The Bloomfield Church was started in 1938 by members of the Bethany Sunday School class, and was supported until it was able to become independent in 1954.  it presently does not exist.
  • Outreach continued when the church brought Sipahai and Sisopha Onemanyvong, a refugee couple from Laos to Peru in May 1981.  The church assisted the couple to be secure.  The family relocated in 1983 to Colorado.

image12

We’re now located at the corner of 5th Street and Clay Street.

  • Plans for a new church building got underway in 1955, and the first service in the new building at Fifth and Clay was on May 17, 1959.
  • In 1975, the property north of the church was purchased, the house torn down and a parking lot was made.  In 1977, the parsonage, which was next to the church was found to be in bad shape.  It was demolished and converted to a parking lot.
  • When the congregation decided to build the new church in 1947, they were reminded of a very important fact by pastor, Howard Keim.  Who said “The building of a church is primarily a spiritual experience.  More important than stone, steel, brick, mortar, glass and furnishings, is the conditions of our hearts.”
  • The success of the church is due to its members.  This has been true since that first Sunday School Meeting in 1909, and it has not changed.  The growth and well being of the Peru Church Depends on everyone.